Wednesday, April 12, 2006

More of a good thing

It's hard not to sound cliche by saying that being apart of Chips Quinn has changed my life. But it has. Since I've been at The Arizona Republic, I've seen nothing but doors of opportunity opened for me.

I am working for the community tabloids, and my editors have just changed my schedule so that I can work with the news designers for the A and B sections. I asked for more challenging design opportunities so I can experience every aspect of newsroom design.

I have two pieces of good news:

* I was chosen to help design the VOICES newspaper for Asian American Journalists Association convention this Summer in Hawaii.

* My internship has been extended to the end of July. I miss home. But what is three more months? I've had the opportunity to work with good people, and now I can form more of a relationship with them.

I have had the fortune of becoming friends with many Chips Quinn alums – reporter Marianne Refuerzo (a 2005 Scholar who is awesome!) and photographer Mike Schennum (2004 Scholar) to name two.

As much as I miss snow and the snowboarding season, I'm doing great here.

-- Yvonne A. Pingue, San Jose State University, The Arizona Republic

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home