Friday, March 31, 2006

Surrounded by people willing to help

I feel blessed each and every day because I am good at what I love to do. I am happy to be working for the San Antonio Express-News. The people here are amazing; someone is always willing to help. I am indebted to my editors and co-workers for the answers to the millions of questions that I have asked. They are never too busy to help. That is one thing I should have known from going to D.C. and meeting Chipsters from past years: People really are genuine in wanting to help.

Being a political reporter is intimidating, and that took me a while to figure out. Now I realize that there is much more to reporting than just stating the facts. Reporting is saying the facts in your own voice. The same story is told here every day by six other journalists from various newspapers, so I constantly have to fight to find a way to tell it differently. It is such a challenge. It thrills me and drives me to do better.


-- Isadora Vail-Castro, Texas State University-San Marcos, San Antonio Express-News

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home