Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Magic from editors

The first time my editor was unhappy with me I thought my career in journalism was over. She was mad that I didn't turn in a story on time. I was assigned two stories and dropped the ball on one. I learned to say when I have too much on my plate. Another lesson I learned is that it’s not personal, it’s business. I was afraid my editor didn't like me as a person. She is tough, but I realized that it is from people like her that I will benefit the most.

I enjoy sitting behind her while she edits my stories. It’s like magic to see her change my text from what I wrote to what I meant to write. Good editors are those who leave the writer with a sense of gratitude for improving his story. I am blessed to have good, albeit tough, editors.

I also learned that instead of walking off the court every time I drop the ball, I should pick it up and remember that I love this game too much to quit.

-- Aman Mehrzai, Ohlone College, The Oakland (Calif.) Tribune

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home