Thursday, April 06, 2006

California dreamin'

OK, I'll admit it: I’m not a copy editor by trade. Yes, I’ve always taken a perverse pleasure in proofreading the work of others. (“You used ‘effect’ instead of ‘affect!’ Gotcha!”) But I hadn’t really served in an official copy-editing capacity until this internship at the Ventura County Star. I must say, I'm digging it.

Although, you wouldn't believe the mistakes I’ve caught in wire stories. Hey, Knight Ridder, I may be a pitiful little intern, but at least I know how to spell Laurence Olivier's name correctly! One time, we got a story from The AP attributing a quote to California Sen. “Barbara Feinstein.” For those who aren't hip to California politics, we have two senators -- Barbara Boxer and Dianne Feinstein.

I don't know how those folks sleep at night.

I really like my newsroom. Everyone is very cool, and I've been introduced to some interesting places in lovely Ventura. And of course, Southern California features the Del Taco and Der Wienerschnitzel fast-food chains. I couldn't ask for more.


-- Giselle Velazquez, San Francisco State University, Ventura County (Calif.) Star

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home