Sunday, January 29, 2006

He's my hero

One of my heroes came to the opening reception in a dark suit and wrinkled tie. He walked into the room with authority and slipped into a handshake with some of the most influential people that night. With most heroes, I'd wait my turn hours in line to talk with them. But with this one, I got an affectionate smack on the shoulder. Heroes are special people. Willie Allen (2002 Scholar and photographer at the St. Petersburg Times) is smart. He admittedly makes mistakes; we can’t escape those. What makes Willie a hero in my life is that he chooses to surround himself with good people, and that allows him to be a happy, giving person. When he graduated from San Francisco State University in 2002, he gave me his school locker. When I'm feeling a little low, he always has the heart to help me out with a few high fives and some perspective. I appreciate Chips Quinn's foresight to see Willie as a talented, caring individual. I hope my fellow Chipsters find good heroes.


-- Natalie Schrik, San Francisco State University, The Greenville (S.C.) News

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home