Saturday, January 28, 2006

Inspiring trio

(Bob Dubill, retired executive editor of USA TODAY, shared a story about Chips Quinn, editor of the Poughkeepsie (N.Y.) Journal, during lunch. In the background is a photo of Loie Quinn, Chips' mother. Photo by Jeremiah Armenta.)


I am a man who cries. So today as Mr. Quinn’s granddaughter spoke and then as Mr. Quinn spoke and Bob Dubill spoke, sang and danced, I held in buckets of tears. Hearing the collective stories of this family, connected by blood and journalism, was touching and awe inspiring. I am struck by the dedication, commitment and fervor that the staff and Chipster alums have put into this experience. It occurred to me that the most important person I met this weekend is a holy trinity of sort – John Quinn, Loie Quinn and Chips Quinn. Thank you, all.


-- Rick Coca, California State University-Northridge, Daily News, Los Angeles

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home