Saturday, January 28, 2006

Expect the unexpected

The most important thing I learned this weekend is always expect the unexpected. I never thought that I would leave D.C. with a new family. It has been only two days and I feel like I have known some Chipsters for years. I couldn't choose just one person to write about today because I am so impressed with everyone, and that is a great feeling. (Coach) Mary Ann Hogan reminds me of my aunt who always is animated, affectionate and loving. I am thrilled to have her as a writing coach, and I already know she will be a lifelong friend. (Program Director) Karen Catone reminds me of my sister; I still have a lot to learn from her. She is organized, punctual, kind and compassionate. Even over the phone I felt comfortable talking to Karen. On Thursday night, John Quinn was walking around the room and introducing himself. He had a piece of paper on which he had written notes about each and every one of us. I felt touched that he would take the time to find an interesting aspect about us and tell us about it. He has a presence about him that just makes you want to hug him.


-- Isadora Vail-Castro, Texas State University-San Marcos, San Antonio Express-News

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home