Friday, January 27, 2006

Founding principles

First thought: I decided today that I’m going to teach my 8-year-old daughter the First Amendment. I think she’ll be a better, more informed citizen if she learns it. Second thought: Great speakers – eloquent and smart. They’re hammering home things we’ve all heard before, but it is reminding me that there is a system, a series of steps to write a good, solid, informing news article. Third thought: I really enjoyed John Seigenthaler (founder, First Amendment Center). I blew the last question. I really wanted that cup! Fourth thought is from speaker Charles Haynes (senior scholar, First Amendment Center): America is about principles and ideas, not a particular race or religion.

-- Rick Coca, California State University-Northridge, Daily News, Los Angeles

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home