Friday, January 27, 2006

A chance for renewal

In the presence of such accomplished journalists and colleagues, I am nervous. In the flurry of goodbyes and packing, I had somehow forgotten to worry about the most obvious part of the move: my job. I’m not sure that I can cut it, but it’s a little late to try to make up the missing work. Nevertheless, there was something I did know how to do. I could admire the cameras of the two other photographers -- tools that we share in our craft to tell stories. When Jeremiah Armenta pulled out his Powerbook, I instinctively hunkered down in the adjacent seat. Here was a personal project of his, the best kind of photos shot with all his skills and vision aimed toward loved ones. As he loaded up photos of his wife and newborn son, a surge of admiration coursed through my veins. The photo essays showed emotion, exuded intimacy and were framed in beautiful light. Here was the kind of work that speaks volumes. I’m always inspired by groups like these, a chance at an exchange of ideas and feedback that remind me of my own desire to go out and shoot. One thing that the orientation would be, I decided, was a chance to renew myself and enjoy what I do for work. I already am being drawn into the others, in this business of news and people.

-- Susanica Tam, University of Southern California, The Santa Fe New Mexican

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home