Friday, January 27, 2006

Humbled, grateful, excited

As CQ orientation drew near, I found myself growing more skeptical over its feel-good ideals. This is good training, an internship and an opportunity to network – not a life-changing experience. When I walked into the hotel lobby, I recognized two other Chipsters. Within minutes, we were eating dinner together. Soon after meeting my hotel-suite mate, we were talking like old friends. Just one day into the program and there is a familiarity among most of us that I haven’t felt in years. Where did this built-in intimacy come from? Why are we so willing to make friends so quickly? I think it’s because we’re being treated so well. We’re being given an opportunity and all the tools to succeed. We’re all humbled and grateful and excited. And that’s making us act like children in the best of ways – being open and honest and willing.

-- Gina Ferrer, University of California-Santa Cruz, The Spokesman-Review, Spokane, Wash.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home