Friday, January 27, 2006

Hope in the First Amendment

Deeply rooted emotions ran through me when I listened to (First Amendment Senior Scholar) Charles Haynes passionately talk about the true meaning of being an American. I felt I was listening to a true believer preaching America’s only way to salvation in an ever-more diverse population. He explained that the only safeguard to protect minorities and the majority alike is the First Amendment. The way he said it resonated with me. After the Sept. 11 attacks, I struggled with many emotions being a Muslim minority. I saw hate directed toward people with whom I share a faith. On some occasions, I felt the heat myself. A lot of it was because of bad media coverage about Muslims. We were portrayed as a monolithic, strange people secretly living next to Tom, Dick and Harry (and family). For a while, I thought of moving to a new land, with hopes to find freedom. But getting into journalism was my solution, perhaps to change the problems I perceived. The thought of leaving, however, still resonated with me. But listening to Dr. Haynes made me think twice for the first time since Sept. 11. Perhaps there is hope. For now, I will try my best to be a good Muslim, a good American, and a good journalist. I will see what fate has in hand.


-- Aman Mehrzai, Ohlone College, The Oakland (Calif.) Tribune

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home