Friday, January 27, 2006

Feeding our passion

Today we discussed our fears going into the newsroom. There were all sorts of fears we came up with, and I shared every one of them. I think Adam Causey said he is afraid of sucking. And while that fear is shared, I don’t think we’d be here if we sucked. I believe we are in D.C. for a reason, and that is to feed the fire of passion we have for journalism. I already have so much to take back to the newsroom. I feel less nervous and fearful. Catalina Camia (of USA TODAY) and Laura Rehrmann (of Gannett News Service) were so helpful and genuinely nice. They were concerned about our problems. They cared about our questions. And John Seigenthaler (founder, First Amendment Center) taught me that I am no where close to understanding the First Amendment. After his pop quiz, I know a lot more! John said something that stuck in my head. He said, “In times of war, we do strange things. And the end result is fear.” I can’t help but think of soldiers overseas who are fighting while we are dining. But I am reminded that while there are plenty of things to be scared of, there is so much more worth fighting for.


-- Isadora Vail-Castro, Texas State University-San Marcos, San Antonio Express-News

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home