Saturday, January 28, 2006

History influences the future

(Benny Polacca during a nighttime visit to the Washington Monument. Photographer Willie Allen took Scholars to the Mall on an assignment. Photo by Willie Allen, 2002 alum.)


Yesterday Charles Haynes (senior scholar, First Amendment Center) spoke to the Chips Quinn Scholars about their roles in journalism. He said we 16 participants are the 21st Century journalists. Talk about responsibility. He recalled hate crimes and perspectives that have not been inclusive or respectful of people of color. I wasn't surprised at Haynes' tone or speech, but rather, I was glad that he is one more voice concerned about people of color. As a Native American, I hold the stories, historical facts and voices of history close to me because the country's westward expansion significantly altered Native people's culture, religions, ancient homelands and languages. Native people's lives dramatically changed for generations, leaving questions about who are Native Americans. These are especially crucial as many Americans continue to relocate to the West from states where Native people were removed long ago. I will take historical recollections forward with me, and I hope to shed light on the Native American community. I hope other upcoming journalists will follow me.


-- Benny Polacca, Arizona State University, The Bulletin, Bend, Ore.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home